This 0.5 credit hour course emphasizes how to successfully compose professional correspondence including emails and memos. Using open educational learning materials, students will learn the basics of audience-specific professional written communication for paper and paperless correspondence. In addition to understanding best-practices for a variety of approaches, students will learn how to avoid common errors and misunderstandings.
Please note: WSU Badge Courses are for non-degree seeking students. Degree seeking students cannot enroll in a badge course. If you are unsure of your student status, please contact us at 316-978-7579 or firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll provide assistance.
Upon completion of this badge, students will be able to:
- Describe the core functions of an effective, clear, and concise email and memo.
- Identify the value of simple language and define active and passive voice.
- Explain why good organization is important to both you and your audience and explain how to organize any business message.
- Demonstrate professional, conversational tone through correspondence practice.
- Analyze and correct emails and memos for conciseness, grammar, punctuation, and successful content.